Not-for-profit organizations (NPO) have needs that differ greatly from those of traditional businesses and often have different priorities. We understand these realities. We are proud of the accomplishments of our NPO clients and it is our responsibility to help by providing services beyond their expectations.
We are committed to providing quality service at a fair value to our NPO clients. Our NPO group strives for leading professional services from incorporation and charitable registration to annual reporting and advisory services throughout the year.
For over 30 years, we’ve grown our business to create a group specializing in not-for-profit organizations and can service these clients with insight and proficiency on audit and non-audit matters. We have a dedicated team of professional accountants who specialize in work with NPO audits. We believe that our size is the key to our relationship with our clients – we are big enough to offer specific knowledge and expertise yet small enough to be accessible on a timely basis.
We offer a full range of services for our NPO clients including:
- Audit and accounting: We provide audit, review, and notice to reader engagements, including advice on the options that are available for NPOs, including International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), Accounting Standards for NPOs and special procedures for funders.
- Taxation planning and compliance: Taxation issues, including GST/HST compliance, can be complex and will vary for different types of NPOs, including charitable organizations. Along with our tax specialists, we can help our NPOs to be tax-compliant and efficient by providing advisory services related to required tax filings.
- Advisory services: We offer various advisory services including evaluation of internal controls, due diligence, special reports, review of agreements, corporate governance review, and reinstatement of registered charity status. Often our NPO clients ask for advice on the structure or mandate of various committees, such as Audit/Finance committees. We also advise on the formulation of financial policies, such as investment policy.
Our Recent Projects
Examples of what we have recently done to assist our clients include:
- Planning regarding the purchase and sale of land and buildings
- Advice on GST of NPO-specific revenues and services
- Assistance on application and reinstatement for charitable status
- Structuring organizations and operations to minimize GST/HST implications
- Analysis and review of budgets
- Strategies regarding donations and loans
- Review of accounting policies for revenue recognition
- Internal control review
- Advice on donation receipting
- Assistance with charity dissolution
A sample of our current NPO clients include:
- Professional Associations
- Educational Institutions
- Community Centres
- Volunteer Centres